Data governance maturity models – Open Universiteit Nederland
Due to popular demand, I’m continuing the series of covering existing data governance maturity models. For a recap of those covered so far, you can find each one here:
Open Universiteit Nederland Maturity Model
Overview: Published in 2015 by Jan Merkus as part of research for the Open Universiteit Nederland. It is based on the following maturity levels of the Capability Maturity Model (CMM), but applied to the domain of data governance.
- Level 1 – No process: No process at all or no formally organized process, ad-hoc activities only
- Level 2 – Beginning process: There are attempts for a process, but it’s not consistently documented and it’s mostly reactive
- Level 3 – Established process: A formalized process is in place used across the organization, but it is not highly detailed or all encompassing
- Level 4 – Managed process: A formalized process is well established with a clear ownership, which is regularly measured, monitored, controlled, audited and analysed
- Level 5 – Optimizing process: The overall process is deeply integrated within other business and technical processes as well as within the culture of the organization, it’s mostly automated, continually improving and adapting and constantly reviewed with data stakeholders
The model comes with a self-assessment tool and score for the following dimensions, each with its own set of qualifications, against the 5 maturity levels outlined above:
- Corporate governance
- Risk management & compliance
- Data assets
- Business alignment
- Data governance organization
- Data management
Take away: This might be the first or one of the first models validated in practice. At the moment, research on it is still underway, but scientific articles about it are to be published soon.
- Jan Merkus’ Data Governance Self Assessment Tool
- Research thesis (in English and Dutch)
- Data governance maturity model thesis (in Dutch)
- Data Governance and Information Governance: Set of Definitions in Relation to Data and Information as Part of DIKW
Next I’ll go over the Kalido Maturity Model.